Here are 5 easy steps to stay safe on Twitter
1. Never give out your real address, or any personal details - Remember on Twitter everything you say can be open to the world.
2. Never give out your password - Also be extra careful when you sign into Twitter through other websites. (Some are scams trying to find out your log-in details!)
3. Think before you Tweet! - Anyone can see what you say unless you make your profile private.
4. Don't follow back people you don't know - This can help protect you against Direct Message spam.
5. If you don't want the world to see everything you say on Twitter make your profile private, the option is in your settings on Twitter.com. That way only people you follow back will be able to see your updates, your tweets will also be hidden from the public search as well.
For more information on safety go to the Twitter safety page.