Whatever choices you make about your relationship, it is a good idea to have a crisis plan to keep safe or in case you have to leave in a hurry.
This is a suggested plan of action which you can add to or change to suit you.
- Teach your children to call 999 in an emergency
- Keep important and emergency phone numbers with you
- Keep some money on you at all times
- Think of neighbours or friends who you could ask for help in an emergency
- Know where the nearest phone is, or keep your mobile with you
- If you think your partner is about to become violent, avoid the kitchen where there are knives and other rooms where you might become trapped - try to stay near to the way out or the phone
- Keep a small bag hidden incase you have to leave in an emergency